I had put off working on this line because of the common name “Jones”. Now it seems all I have left (Ha, Ha) are the brick walls.
- My 2x great grandmother was Ada Jane Jones b. 2 May 1837, original touted as having been born in London. However six months later according to Baptisms in the Parish of St Philip Birmingham, in the county of Warwick she was baptized on 29 November 1837, that is close to Coleshill where her mother’s family (the Langley’s) lived.
- Jane Langley and George Jones were married by special license on 25 Sept. 1834 in London England
- Known siblings of Ada Jane Jones include:
- George M. Jones b. 1838-1840 England
- Alfred Langley Jones b. 1842 England
- Walter Jones b. 1844 England
- Catherine Jones b. 1848 New York
- Mary Jane Jones b. 1853 New York
- Ship Franconia to America left from Liverpool England and arrived in New York 22 April 1844 with:
- George Jones 37
- Jane ” 30
- Ada Jane ” 7
- George ” 4
- Alfred ” 2
- Walter ” inft.
- 1850 US Census New York, New York lists:
- Geo Jones 45, laborer, Eng
- Jane Do. 38, …………., Do.
- Geo M. Do. 12, …………., Do.
- Ada Do. 13, …………., Do.
- Cth Do. 2, …………., N.Y.
When I found this census my first question was “What has happened to Alfred and Walter?” I proceeded to look for them. What I discovered was very limited. The Jones name was too common. I thought Alfred and Walter would set them apart. Lots of Georges around the country but nothing that said this is our George Jones,
- Ada Jane Jones married Joseph Booth 25 October 1859 in Hudson City, New Jersey. So for the 1860 census she and Joseph Booth show up on their own on Staten Island, New York. Where are the rest of the family members in the 1860″s census?
- Searched for and did not locate in the 1860 US Census
- George Jones ≈ 55 years of age
- Jane Jones ≈ 46 years of age
- George M. Jones ≈ 20 years old
- Alfred Langley Jones = 18 years
- Walter Jones = 16 years of age
- Catherine Jones = 12 years of age
- Searched for and did not locate in New York or New Jersey death record of any of the above.
- Checked Cemetery where Ada Jane Booth is buried (Fairview Cemetery, Staten Island) for any likely Jones.
- Searched US Civil War Records for any of the boys. Found a Alfred L. Jones in Louisiana Confederate Army, hum.. doubt that he is ours.
- I thought well if things did not turn out well for George in the United States maybe he went back to England. I did find a George father and son Alfred in England but not where I would expect them to be. Are they ours?
- Found a George M. Jones, spouse Matilda, he is a tobacco importer, born in England, living in Brooklyn 1870, 1900 and 1905. He is the right age, for the son, and in 1900 it lists the correct year for coming (1844) to the US. The census shows a daughter Sarah and Maria. Matilda is not in the two later census.
Not much to go on there. I continue to look and have submitted what I have to my genealogical society “Common Name Brick Walls”, and will be grateful for all and any ideas.
So that is my Jones Line to date. Interesting fact Jane Langley’s mother was a Jones, a Mary Jones in Warwick England. Have not even begun to look into that.